Spicy & Sweet Beef Jerky
- 4 pounds lean round roast (or other very lean cut), sliced very thin
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 5 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste (optional)
- In a small bowl or cup, mix together the onion powder, garlic powder, and some cracked black pepper.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, mix together the brown sugar, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic or red wine vinegar, liquid smoke flavoring and pineapple juice. Heat until the brown sugar has completely dissolved.
- Add the seasoning mixture to the marinade. Pour over the meat, and mix by hand to coat really well. Seal the bowl, and refrigerate overnight.
- Arrange the beef strips on the rack of a smoker. Smoke for 5 hours, or to your desired dryness.
Store in refrigerator